How to make bird feeders
Hello Mess Makers! hope you are all safe at home!
Over the weekend I spent hours making bird feeders with my boys and I’m sure you will agree the end result looked ace! This is a great boredom buster and encourages creativity.
Looking at the end results, I think the bird feeders are reminiscent of Poppy and Branch, while I doubt the boys intended to create troll inspired bird feeders I’m running with this as the theme especially as the new movie is out this week and I for one am super excited!
How to make a bird house, (troll inspired or not).
What you will need;
1. An empty container i.e milk carton or juice bottle.
2. Scissors, glue and tape.
3. Paint (optional).
4. Paper/card or felt/crepe paper, any crafts/stickers you have at home and toilet roll holder.
5. Pipe cleaner/rope or wire to hang.
How to make it;
- Make sure your milk carton (container) is clean and dry, cut out a window or arch way for the birds to get into the food. Tip: we left a flap when cutting the arch to attach the toilet roll holder, making a perch for the birds.
- If you have chosen to paint the bird feeder do this now and leave to dry. Alternatively you can wrap felt/ card or stick crepe paper to the container using cellotape and glue, to cover it.
- When paint and glue are dry add your decorations, we added pipe cleaners, foam flowers and hearts and some craft flowers
- Pierce two holes in the lid of the container and push wire/rope or a pipe cleaner through the holes making a loop and securing it at the underside the lid (this is how you will hang your bird feeder so make it long enough and make sure its secure).
- Add your bird seeds to the bottom of the container.
- Pick the perfect spot to hang it and enjoy hours of bird spotting.